Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Role Reversal

This past w'end I was channel surfing and I came upon America's Trusted Source for News-CNN. They had put together a documentary on the Sago Mine deaths. However, in true CNN fashion they made it much more dramatic then it needed to be. The documentary was entitled, "The Tradgedy at the Sago Mine". Are you kidding me? Tradgedy? Not quite. Now dont get me wrong, I feel bad for those families that lost loved ones in that situation. I sympathize w/ the emotional rollercoaster they went on being told that the mineworkers were all alive and then finding out that all but one had passed. It was truly sad. But a tradgedy, I do not think so. The tsunami in South Asia was a tradgedy, Hurricane Katrina was a tradgedy, the lack of a response by the Bush administration in the wake of Katrina was a tradgedy, the fact that every person in the world's most powerful country doesnt have health insurance is a tradgedy, the fact that a majority of this country knows more about Paris Hilton than how our government works is a tradgedy. The fact that 11 men in a mine died is not a tradgedy, but is a sad story. It makes me cringe that the 24 hour news outlets feel the need to make the news they CHOOSE to cover so dramatic. If I want drama Ill watch TNT b/c they "know drama". To add insult to injury, they ask the dumbest questions. For example, they asked one woman in West Virginia who lost her husband in the mine how she felt? It was a serious question. How do you think she feels? She just lost her husband. Do you expect her to say, "I feel vivacious and gregarious"? The one good think I saw that came out of their reporting was how they for once portrayed people that were not black or Hispanic as ignorant and uneducated. Well it is West Virginia and it is to be expected, but it was about time they showed some uneducated, simple minded white folk. After Katrina the news outlets had a field day interviewing indigent blacks from the Ninth Ward who had just lost everything they had b/c of the governments inability to build a levee. It is rare in TV news to see a white person shown in a bad light. However, anyone that has seen the first 5 minutes of the local news knows they try to pack in as many stories about a black or Hispanic male that killed someone. I think the role reversal was long overdue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home