Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Cause and Effect

It has always been hard for me to ignore things people say that are ignorant. Perhaps this is a character flaw of mine. Im not sure if it's an innate quality I possess? On New Years Eve I was at a party that turned out to be a wholly unenjoyable event for me w/ the exception of hanging w/ some of my boys. At that party I was told (in a nutshell) that unless youre Cuban you should not drink Mojitos. Immediately my mind started thinking why would you say something like that? I guess being raised in two starkly different cultures, my thought process doesnt draw lines as to what I can and cannot do. Or what I can drink. I chalked it up to him being a sheltered white boy that lacked any exposure to culture. But two days removed from the situation its still in the back of my mind. It reminded me a conversation I was having about a month ago about the lack of culture on the part of white people in America. At first I disagreed w/ what my friend was saying, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense to me. Most white people know their decent, but have no idea of the culture embraced by their forefathers. They dont know the beliefs of their decent. But everyone is ready to go drink green beer on St.Patrick's Day. Do they do that in Ireland? Not to my knowledge.
I surmise that whenever comments are made pertaining to ethnicity or race I take a particular interest. They are both intriguing subjests to me beacause in a sense I am multicultural. The funny thing about ethnicity and race is that nobody wants to have a dialogue about it, but its probably one thing that should be talked about. I dont shy away from talking about it, ever. A lot of people do not think that way though. Race and ethnicity is what is and nothing is ever going to change. It is better that we stick w/ people that look like us. I think that is the worst possible thing anyone could do. Im not hating on any one race b/c everyone does it. God knows Indians roll in clicks like dice in a board game. Yeah we tow the company line that diversity is what we are striving for, but is it really? I dont think so. Its a grandiose ideal, but in the U.S. I doubt it will ever happen w/ any prevalence.
Growing up I looked at being Indian as being a hinderance to me. It was hard growing up among hella white people that had no idea about the world outside the 48 contiguous states. I had parents w/ an odd accent, I wasnt able to date, and had to endure jokes about 7/11, worshipping cows, or red dots. Regretabally it whitewashed my youth. But in retrospect it has made me a stronger person. However, that is the root of my animosity towards white society. Ive found in my experience that white people are the most closeminded people when it comes to different cultures...in my experience. Thats why I dont care much for white society. As Ive gotten older I have made it a point to reconnect w/ my culture. Being Indian is a blessing to me. Im fortunate to be part of a culture that is deep and amazing. Yeah I was born in the US, but I am not seen as an American in America. In a way I am glad. And I really wouldnt want it any other way than that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm white, and you're right. I really have no idea about most other cultures, either in the US or out. And I absolutely think that there are many different, largely separate cultures in the US, which is pretty sad. Melting pot = bullshit.

Oh, and when I was in Barcelona I drank lots of mojitos. They actually originated there, and that part of Spain is pretty white, although they have their own cultural groups--spanish, french and basque to start. But they were yummy and they're not too sweet in the summer and goddammit I like them. Of course, I also don't particularly like "white people food" (like Italian), and I love Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, (real) Chinese, and southern American food (like, you know, grits and collard greens and stuff). But I still don't know shit about the actual cultures, either in those countries or here. Can't figure out if I'm more enlightened than most white people, or just deluding myself with wishful thinking.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home